Thursday, July 25, 2013
Glacier Park- Day 4
I skipped a day of writing. We returned at about 8:00 to our little camper, unfed and dead tired. So, today we take the day off and get reorganized. It is amazing how quickly things get disarrayed. I always have wondered why things fall to chaos instead of order.
So, I am sitting in the KOA laundromat doing two loads. We a running low on fresh fruits and vegetables. Very few can be bought here. I was a little unprepared on the food category. Next time I would know better. It is a long way out for a good grocery store. They have food marts but they have very little besides bread, milk, beverages, and expensive jars of peanut butter. So, we are getting creative with what we have. We have three more days here until we leave.
But about yesterday first...
It was a tremendous experience. We headed for Canada to the International Peace Park. It was the first in the world. Now there are several throughout the world that share a unique biodiversity, in this case the upper Rocky Mountains/Glacier area.
Our guided hike started at 10:00 in Waterton Park which is a little village with stores and restaurents, hotels and a campground. It is beautiful. I felt like I was in a European town in the Swiss alps....or at least what I would think of as a European town in the Swiss Alps being I have never been to one. High up on a hill welcoming the little village is the Prince of Wales National Historic Site. It is open to the public to tour and there is a restaurant in it.
There were about 20 of us on the hike, half from Canada and the rest from all over the U.S. We had a Canadian and a U.S. park ranger guide us on the hike. We stopped periodically and discussed and had activities regarding "peace" under different perspectives. The hike was 8.5 miles...but Frank and I got an extra mile in because we forgot our passports in the car and had to hike back to the car at the marina to get them. We had parked at the marina to save walking back to our car after the hike. That didn't work out. We needed to buy a boat pass because when the hike ended at the other side of Upper Waterton Lake at Goat Haunt we were ferried back to Waterton.
The hike was excellent. After the first couple hills which were very strenuous and I was wondering if I would make it or not, it was fairly straight with little altitude increase. It was especially fun to come across the border markers of Canada and the United States. There was a swatch of land cleared that indicated the boundaries of the two countries. We shook hands there with our Canadian neighbors on the hike. We experienced very old forest and learned about the plants and animals of the area. At the end of the hike, we got our passports stamped because it was a port of entry, as remote as it is. We then got on our boat and returned, exhausted, sore but satisfied to actually accomplish the hike. By the way, the U.S. ranger was originally from Minneapolis. He was excellent. Great sense of humor and made the hike especially entertaining. Photo are included.
Anyway, today we are laying low. Listening to the machines hum in the laundrymat is rather therapeutic. I need to plan our last few days here before the long drive home. Hope Becky is taking care of the garden. I am missing the produce!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment