Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Glacier Park. Day 3

Today we started at the Saint Mary Welcome Center and signed up for the 8.5! mile hike in the Canadian side of the park.  It is called the international Peace Park Hike.  We will hike across the international boundary from Waterton to Goat Haunt and return by boat. It this blog is empty tomorrow, it will probably be the result of something that happened to me on this hike.  Think positive thoughts.  But more on that tomorrow.

We went over the Going-to-the-Sun road that is 55 miles and takes us out the west side of the park.  The scenery is spectacular.  We went to the Lake McDonald Lodge and I took some photos of the inside.  There was also a reading room there.  I took a photo of it for my Bookclub.    There is so much history here besides the beauty and wildlife.  We went to Apgar on the far west side of Glacier Park and had a picnic lunch on the beach of Lake McDonald.  We explored around Apgar Village.  i bought my girls a souvenir which i cannot divulge at this point. What is a huckleberry?  frfffffffffThen we went back to Avalanche Creek where there are a stand of virgin timber of cedar trees, some over 500 years old.  We walked a 5 mile hike to Avalanche Lake.  Two of the miles were up.  I am not sure I am in shape for tomorrow's little hike.  There were many waterfalls at the lake from melting snow off the mountains.

I was dead tired after that adventure.  Home for pasta and a beer. I earned it.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your posts! Brian is jealous that you saw that owl on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog, Caryl - keep it coming for the poor slugs sitting indoors at work - it's nice to know about nature and hikes and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you and bill should make this a goal. It is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A huckleberry is like tasteless blueberry

    ReplyDelete