Music. I learned to play the clarinet in 5th grade. Mainly because I had a crush on Benny Beautky who would then be obliged to sit next to me. I was always a bit of a schemer. Oh course, Benny quit. I pursued playing the clarinet into my first year of college. It was then I had to make the decision if I was to go to Europe with the band on tour.....or to Taos, New Mexico with the art department to take photographs and develop them in an abandoned tavern for a darkroom. I chose New Mexico and became an art teacher.
Now, years later, I am a member of two bands and play the church organ on alternate Sundays at the Methodist Church. One band is Sigs, where I am one of the younger players. We perform marches and polkas. We are especially good on parade routes where we have a trailer that is pulled by some volunteer. We are a volunteer organization, we simply get paid with a meal. The other musical group is the North Iowa Band. I am a new member of this organization. I sit third to the last chair clarinet. It is a good place to be. I feel comfortable.
No comments:
Post a Comment